Friday 25 November 2016

Giving Thanks - Apple and Pumpkin Cake

So, I imagine an awful lot of people in the USA are taking it easy today after partying hard yesterday. I hope every person was able to connect with the emotion of the day in some way and to do something special to give gratitude for the many gifts in their life.

For me, "fall," or autumn (as we know it on this side of the pond), is all about processing the harvest from our abundant garden. With half a dozen apple trees, I'm always looking for new ways of consuming the 1,000 plus apples we regularly get. And with the fall-out from Halloween, I got creative and created a recipe for apple and pumpkin cake.

Basically, take your favourite fruit cake/banana bread recipe and add a small dish of pumpkin, cut into small cubes and steam for around five minutes to soften. I then add thinly sliced apple (including the peel) and steam for a couple of minutes more. Add the spices of your choice - mine are cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Cook slightly lower and longer - the texture will come out a bit more puddingy, and it will not keep as long because it will be quite wet.
Scrummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment